The inactivity of the Kenilworth Station booms debacle continues!
Many residents in the neighbouring areas (including Harfield Village) are irate with the resulting noise pollution as the train drivers are apparently obliged to blow their hooter at all hours when passing through! You can hear this in video taken on 2 May 2019.
Councillor Ian Iversen at the City of Cape Town responds to the matter ...
From: Ian Iversen [mailto:Ian.Iversen@capetown.gov.za] Sent: 02 May 2019 11:21 AM
Dear Mr Norgarb
Thanks for making contact with me regarding the ongoing problems at Kenilworth Station.
I thought that it would be best to give information in point form.
· The most important point is that this is a Metrorail problem and not a Cape Town Municipality issue although the ongoing problems impact on residents of Cape Town.
· The booms were damaged / stopped working many months ago.
· Metrorail after considerable time carried out an inspection and decided to repair the equipment.
· I understand that the equipment has been ordered from either China or Japan.
· In terms of Railway safety regulations trains coming from Cape Town need to stop about 200 m from the station….blow their hooters, wait for permission to enter the station.
· At one time there were 3 people on duty at the “booms” directing traffic & telling motorists & pedestrians when they might cross the line. There is now only one person on duty.
· The local Metrorail official for this line is George Kiewiets: 021 507 2273 Office or firstname.lastname@example.org
· When I spoke to Mr Kiewiets last week to ask when repairs would be carried out he stated that it might take about three months. He then stated that Metrorail were now exploring other options but didn’t say what they were.
· The Western Cape Metrorail Regional Manager is Richard Walker. Phone 021 449 6478 office
Regards Cllr. I R Iversen
Office: 021 444 8117 Cell: 083 629 7051 E-mail: Ian.Iversen@capetown.gov.za
PA: Ms Esmeralda Abrahams Important: Please copy Ms Abrahams in on all e-mails: Esmeralda.Abrahams@capetown.gov.za